Monday 14 July 2014

What's the hurry?

So what's the hurry in finishing a project? This started in 2010, went pretty quick and was sort of together in 2012. Got some paint on it and it's kind of sat around doing nothing since.
I'm not bored with it, far from it, but I'm wanting track time when I go to a circuit and not to spend most of the day playing with spanners. The RGV does like a spanner on it.

I did Cadwell on it last year and had a problem with a spacer on the output shaft resulting in a steady mist of gear oil onto the rear tyre. Pitching into corners was interesting and I lost the back a few times before I realised I'd lubricated the bit that I wanted to be grippy. End of session.

I then took it to raf valley last autumn and the carbs did their usual trick of dribbling fuel oil over the track and my rear tyre again. Shame because it lifted its heels quite well in places. Since then I've fitted new fuel valves from the USA- some fancy high flow things. Apparently the fuel valves are a standard problem.
Also fortunately I have a spare bike for attending trackdays - an old ducati 748. It's brilliant. It suits me because it's old, noisy, unreliable and regarded as a bit rubbish by today's standards. Perfect for embarrassing fireblades then.

Got a lot going on this year so I've not had time to play with motorbikes. I've just been back to valley and decided to take the RGV at the last minute. I've done nothing to it since fitting the fuel valves but thought I might have 20 minutes on it if the weather was ok.
To cut a long story short I went out on it in the afternoon while some amateurs tried to fit tyres to the duke. Obviously it drew a bit of attention, four pipes ringing and castrol A747 smoke and I'm the pied piper.
I did four laps. First lap was steady trying to get some heat in the hoops. Second lap and starting to lean it a bit. Third lap and it's starting to feel more settled and planted in the corners (oil must be getting rubbed off now) so in thinking the next lap and I'll have my knees on the floor. Then it started raining so that was the end of that.
I wasn't quick but I was 100 times faster than the bloke with a genuine loris capriosi desmodesicci.

Suspension is too firm so I'm going to take it to maxton. It handles but you'd need to be riding at 100% for the current set up to make sense. I'm too old for 100%.
Rear tyre is wasted. It's had a steady spray of oil from day one so it feels as you would expect a lubricated tyre to feel.
Brakes are binary. I'm going to put an rcs master cylinder on to soften things up a bit. To be honest they are not too harsh (rode worse) and riding at 100% they would be perfect. The original disc/nissin caliper set up was just perfect.

Engine...it sounds ace.

Oh and yes it goes like f






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Victoria Park,Ulverston,United Kingdom

2 comments:

  1. Please do get in touch if ever you decided to sell .... webby789@hotmail.com

    Regards

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do get in touch if ever you decided to sell .... webby789@hotmail.com

    Regards

    Steve

    ReplyDelete