Sunday 16 September 2012

Smoke and Noise


It lives! It makes a noise and it sounds terrific.

I need to get some pics of the various detail bits but this is what has happened since christmas.

Engine -
This was pretty much done in the last post so nothing has really changed other than its been filled with Silkolene Light gear oil and Pro Cool.

I have kept the RGV radiator as it fits it nicely. I hacked the top off an old RGV thermostat housing to get the bit where the cap attaches. I then fitted this to the radiator at the r/h side fill plug using a short length of hose. This has given it a new fill point and entry point for the expansion system. Simples! It works a treat and looks like it should be there, Expansion tank is from a ZX6 (I think) and is mounted under the clocks where a headlamp would live.

Kickstart -
This clouts the dry clutch case. The Nova unit sticks out a long way so gets in the way of the swing of the kick. I have Sellotaped a bit of cardboard on it but i think the kick start will be left off. I think rolling starters look ace and will add to the occasion of running the bike so I'm going to get one. I might make one.

Oil.
Castrol A747. Expensive but smells good and will do a good job of keeping the pistons moving Depending on the occasion I will run 33:1 - 40:1

Fuel.
I have been a little paranoid about feeding the carbs with plenty of fuel. The standard RGV tap would not flow enough to feed 4 thirsty carbs so I did a porting job on it. The I drilled a second outlet on the tap body opposite the first one. I opened out the area between the outlets to add a bit of extra volume.
The 'bobbin / shuttle' thing got opened up in the centre as much as I could without breaking though the plastic wall and also the the two input ports were opened up to 6mm dia each.
I offset milled the fuel ways fro the tank pick-ups so these are both 6mm diameter.
I also repositioned the shuttle position on the tap so now it only has 'on' or 'off'. In the 'on' position it flows through both channels - reserve and on.
The result - It howls fuel through both lines and the off position works.

Electrics
I made a harness from a couple of old RGV ones that where stashed in the back of thedampgarage.
Everything works apart from the Zeeltronic ignition. This is not good and I have the original spec spark box fitted at the moment.



Post note:
This post has sat as a draft for months so is unfinished. I've published it anyway but a newer post exists and the detail in this will be discussed with pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment